Job pool frequently asked questions
Over the past years, I have received many inquiries from candidates in a job pool. I would like to address some of the questions that I have received in the past.
What is a job pool?
A job pool is a list of qualified candidates who have successfully completed various levels of screening. The hiring department and the particular type of job competition determines at which stage a job pool is created.
What is an inventory then?
I’ve seen numerous individuals outside of the Government confuse a job pool and an inventory. An inventory is a list of candidates who satisfy the overall merit criteria but in most cases have not continued onto any personal (non standardized) form of testing. It is more common to see job pools for job competitions and inventories for large recruitment efforts such as Post Secondary Recruitment.
How long do job pools last?
As soon as you are informed that you are in a job pool, you are told the expiration date of the job pool. This is usually done through email. The expiration date of a job pool may or may not be extended.
Does being in a job pool guarantee a job offer?
Unfortunately, being in a job pool does not represent a job offer. However, remember that the Government of Canada is a bureaucracy and all processes take a long time. It is not unusual for an internal competition to take up to a year and a half to be completed. Some can even reach two years.
What should I do while I wait in the job pool?
The best thing you can do is keep in touch with the Human Resources coordinator who sent you the email informing you of your status in the job pool. Keep them informed of any progress (education, work experience) and inquire on timelines.
Introducing the only proven online resource that will provide you with astonishing and quick results: The Insider's Guide to Canadian Government jobs.
This amazing guide contains years of research, interviews, and experience from Insiders in the Government of Canada to give you the best resource for obtaining your dream job in the Government.
Here is a brief look inside:
- 100+ pages of never seen before insider knowledge on obtaining highly sought after government jobs that will make you the envy of your peers.
- Clear steps and ready to use vocabulary that will land your new winning resume to the top of the pile...everytime, even if you're not good at writing.
- Two done-for-you cover letter templates that explain exactly how to use your work and educational experience to have hiring managers fighting to meet you.
- Also included is our trademarked: Face-To-Face Interview Differentiator TM. Our tested interview cheat sheet that carefully guides you through each step in the interview process taking you from a faceless applicant to a confident job candidate - even if you are usually nervous in interviews.
- Juicy insider tips on how to get more when negotiating your salary, even if you do not have a lot of work experience.
- Also included are free bonus chapters with amazing insider strategies on: Getting a job in the department of Global Affairs and how to excel in the highly competitive Post Secondary Recruitment (PSR) exams, even if you are not good at standardized tests.