Networking in the government of canada
The Government of Canada is a large bureaucracy where things move slowly. There are numerous rules and regulations governing its everyday functioning. Unfortunately, this also includes the hiring of personnel.
Will a government official actually meet with me?
Despite what people may think, government officials love to talk about their jobs. So much, that it’s not rare for one colleague to ask another in the hallway if they’re busy. This passion for their jobs creates a fertile ground for students who wish to network.
Many individuals have the impression that it is immoral to network in the Government of Canada. It is very common to see networking between government officials at various levels.
I have personally seen several government officials (even at the director level) who meet with students who are interested in their teams. While government officials don’t feel that they are “networking”, most do remember the difficult process to obtain a job in the Government of Canada.
It’s key to remember that networking is a two way street. You must identify a need that the government official mentions during your networking interview and determine how you may be able to assist him/her.
What should I talk about in my networking interview?
Don’t know what to ask? Here are some questions to get you started:
1) What is a typical day like in your work unit?
2) What files does your team work on?
Introducing the only proven online resource that will provide you with astonishing and quick results: The Insider's Guide to Canadian Government jobs.
This amazing guide contains years of research, interviews, and experience from Insiders in the Government of Canada to give you the best resource for obtaining your dream job in the Government.
Here is a brief look inside:
- 100+ pages of never seen before insider knowledge on obtaining highly sought after government jobs that will make you the envy of your peers.
- Clear steps and ready to use vocabulary that will land your new winning resume to the top of the pile...everytime, even if you're not good at writing.
- Two done-for-you cover letter templates that explain exactly how to use your work and educational experience to have hiring managers fighting to meet you.
- Also included is our trademarked: Face-To-Face Interview Differentiator TM. Our tested interview cheat sheet that carefully guides you through each step in the interview process taking you from a faceless applicant to a confident job candidate - even if you are usually nervous in interviews.
- Juicy insider tips on how to get more when negotiating your salary, even if you do not have a lot of work experience.
- Also included are free bonus chapters with amazing insider strategies on: Getting a job in the department of Global Affairs and how to excel in the highly competitive Post Secondary Recruitment (PSR) exams, even if you are not good at standardized tests.